viernes, 22 de mayo de 2009

Food Fun Fridays: Nopales




I don't eat enough vegetables. I've known this since about the third grade. But now I'm trying to do something about it (at least for a few weeks). My May resolution is made so much easier as I've discovered my new favorite vegetable--nopales!

I've loved eating nopales (aka prickly pear cactus) for years now. They've got this fascinating combination of squishiness and crunchiness. I finally learned how to cook them when Mario's mom was here in March. And recently I've found that they sell them at the grocery store all cut up. Wicked easy. (Here lies a huge reason why I don't eat more vegetables--chopping them up just seems like so much work . . . until I actually do it.)

In the US, nopales can be found in any Mexican grocery store that carries vegetables. They come with the thorns cut off already. Just rinse it off and chop into small squares. Heat one teaspoon of olive oil on a a skillet and dump a cup of the chopped nopales in the skillet once the oil is hot. Add about half a teaspoon of salt, so they don't get too slimey (and so they have some flavor). Stir them around for a minute or two and enjoy! As they're exceptionally rich in fiber, your colon will thank you, too!

No hay comentarios :