viernes, 11 de junio de 2010

The Perks of Living Near the Street

The other day I was checking out expat exchange and came across advice given to someone about to move to Mexico, strongly suggesting living in a gated community "so you don't have to deal with people knocking on the door all the time--selling brooms, looking to do odd jobs, or asking for handouts."

Now, this is one of the reasons that I love NOT living in a gated community and refuse to ever do so. For example, I just bought potting soil out of the back of a truck parked in front of my house. Potting soil--delivered to my door! How cool is that?!?

And have I mentioned how much I enjoy the accordion music that wanders the street?

We're not obligated to answer the door at every knock. Sometimes I don't. But then I wonder if I didn't just turn away my fruit man. (I can't explain how much I love getting phenomenally fresh strawberries delivered right to my door. And he lets me sample them before I buy!)

So, NewtoMexico--or whatever your name is--don't listen to that advice! Live outside the gates! It's really not that scary. Rent is cheaper here. And the strawberries are so much tastier.

No hay comentarios :