viernes, 29 de octubre de 2010

Only Skeletons Celebrated Here


Yep, I'm jumping on that Day of the Dead bandwagon, too. Because what did Clara and I come across when we went downtown hoping to refill ink cartridges? The street along one side of the Alameda was blocked off to make room for enormous ofrenda upon ofrenda for the Days of the Dead.

Last year, I believe I posted something about the ofrendas that were on display at the State Cultural center. That was enjoyable, but this was so much better! This year, a number of the city's high schools seemed to stage an ofrenda-making competition of sorts. Various schools were represented, a stage was set up for local talent to sing covers of popular songs, and a nine-foot tall catrina danced down the street.

I don't know if it's because we live so close to Texas or if it's because Mexico in general is getting more and more Americanized with their Halloween celebrations, but certain sections of this town are really trying to hold on to their own traditions and celebrate the Days of the Dead, instead of Halloween (or, maybe along with Halloween--hey, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em). This parade is a good example, as was the sign posted at the daycare center near my house. Today the children were to come to school dressed as catrins or catrinas (boy and girl skeletons)--NOT in their Halloween costumes. Good job, Centro Educativo--teach them young to reclaim their culture!

Anyway, the ofrendas are altars built to remember someone who has passed on. I believe a few were made in honor of the founders of some of the schools represented. I saw quite a number dedicated to Frida Kahlo. Sor Juana seemed to be the next favorite of the high school girls. I didn't recognize the picture of this one, so I asked the boys who made it. Pedro Infante--of course! How did I miss that most dapper of mustaches?

So thank you high school students of Saltillo--you sure brightened my day!

No hay comentarios :