sábado, 12 de marzo de 2011

No Cheese for You!

We haven't been grocery shopping in at least a week. Maybe two. There's no real reason for this, but it's getting pretty exciting to figure out how to plan meals when we're relying on what we've had laying around for far too long. Who knew we still had those cans of tuna? That bag of chilorio we bought at least a month ago? There's two meals in that!

Friday I had a hankering for quesadillas, and as I can get all the ingredients just down the street from me, I figured this would be the easiest meal ever. Tortillas--we've got 'em! Cheese--

What do you mean the butcher is closed?!?

We live right across the street from the butcher. We couldn't have found a more awesome location for our house had we tried. Our tireless and very friendly neighbor butchers (composed of two families, the men being brothers) work every day of the year from 9am to 4pm. Except for Ash Wednesday and the Fridays during Lent.

D'oh!

Now, sure I am Catholic, but being that meat isn't generally a staple of my diet, I don't often remember the whole mealtess-Friday deal. (As I told Mario a few years ago, it's really more of a sacrifice for me to eat meat than to give it up . . . explained on a Friday evening while I was chowing away on some juicy tacos while he meekly ate his "Lenten special" meal.) As I mentioned already, I frequent the butcher more for cheese than for meat.

But now I need to plan ahead.

Welcome to the real world, Jill.

*sigh*

2 comentarios :

Anónimo dijo...

Self-denial is personal sacrifice. There's little reason to share this, other than to appear pious, which rather diminishes devotion.

Jill dijo...

You're absolutely right.

However, I was hoping that the point of this blog entry wasn't about me and what I'm giving up (which really isn't much), but about the tradition itself. Obviously, the rest of the "Christian world" shares in this tradition. However, not having grown up in a Catholic home, I've found the overabundance of "Lenten food" here in Mexico interesting on a number of levels . . . unfortunately, I was not able to convey any of these levels of "interesting" within this blog post.

My apologies. The last thing I was to do is to be one of those "holier-than-thous", but I guess I failed spectacularly. Thanks for calling me out.