domingo, 10 de mayo de 2009

Happy Mother's Day!

First of all, a big shout out to my own momma, as I give her yet another way to stay connected with her girls. I love you!


Today is Mother's Day, and for the first time in a number of years Mexican Mother's Day and US Mother's Day coincide. Mother's Day in Mexico is ALWAYS on May 10th. And no matter which day of the week May 10th falls on, EVERYONE has the day off. This holiday is bigger than Independence Day, bigger than Days of the Dead, bigger than 3 Kings Day, bigger than Thanksgiving (which doesn't exist here) and way bigger than Cinco de Mayo (which nearly no one celebrates outside of the city of Puebla). Many mothers often receive the most extravagant gifts--washing machines, stoves, furniture. My own husband, who never buys presents for anyone if he can help it, regularly gives his mom paintings, sculptures, and pottery for Mother's Day. This is even more impressive when you consider that I have to give him gigantic hints for weeks before Christmas if I expect to receive any present from him.


In short, Mother's Day is a big, fat, huge deal here.


This is my first Mother's Day. My own daughter is three months old. Even though she's Mexican, she's far too young to understand the magnitude of this holiday yet. (And as I'm a gringa, it's just fine with me if she'll never celebrate it like a Mexican.) However, something must have clicked in her little head, as she has given me the best Mother's Day present she's capable of--rest. Last night she went to bed at 9 and slept through until 6 (this has happened before, but it's an extremely rare occurence). Then she went back to bed and slept until 10. Excellent. Difficulties with her sleep schedule usually arise in the afternoon--she's only just learning to nap. Yesterday was a no nap day. Not fun. But she's making up for it today, as she's currently alseep and pushing just past the hour mark. So even if naptime ends now, we're pretty well assured a fun afternoon. So, thank you Clarita! I truly appreciate it!

No hay comentarios :