lunes, 7 de noviembre de 2011

Flan Flop . . . again!

I had been wanting to make flan for a few weeks now. But Mario isn't a big fan of eating mine, as he claims they're too sweet. Tomorrow, though, I've got a number of ladies coming over. They can eat my flan!

Or so were my plans this evening, as I made it.

It was rather fun to make. I love watching the carmel sauce bubble and turn from simple sugar and water into that beautiful, glassy, amber boiling, sweet mess. I love the fact that I can use 7 eggs in a single recipe--the decadence just gets me in a good way.

The recipe recommended baking it in a Maria bath, so I cushioned my baking dish inside a larger one filled with water, popped it in the oven, and waited out the hour that the recipe said it would take to bake. At 11pm, the hour was up, and I checked on the flan.

Every bit a soupy as when I poured it in the baking dish!

Now, I'm used to my oven taking a good deal longer to bake things than the average recipe indicates, but this is ridiculous!

I re-read the recipe, and I followed it to the letter. Then I checked out Joy of Cooking's "about custards" section. Apparently the water in the Maria bath was supposed to be scalding hot. Mine was straight from the tap. D'oh!

And hour and a half later, we're still baking.

I sure hope this is worth it.

**************************************************************************
Come to think of it, I think I blogged about the last time I made flan, which also ended in disaster. This may be the end of Jill's adventures in flan baking. Grrr . . .

Huh . . . that post was almost exactly two years ago! I guess early November is flan season, at least in my head!


***************************************

UPDATE: This flan was AWESOME. It was soooo worth it. I may even make it again sometime before November 2013!

Like next week, perhaps . . .

No hay comentarios :